How to Approach Your Parents About Their Estate Plan

Estate Planning | Nov 23, 2012 | Hook Law Center

Hook Law Center often hears from children who are concerned that their parents may not have an estate plan in place. Many children are concerned that they would not be able to assist their parents in the event a parent had a disability such as a stroke or dementia. Understandably, these subjects may be hard for children to discuss with their parents as children do not want to appear greedy, and the parents may fear loss of control or independence

How can an individual approach their parents about these issues? First, we recommend individuals update their estate plan including properly executed durable power of attorneys and advance medical directives. After individuals complete their plan, they often feel they can approach their parents by referring to the work they have completed with an elder law attorney. We also recommend asking about a general durable power of attorney and advance medical directive rather than a will. Those documents plan for the parents care while they are still alive and show a desire to see parents cared for while they are still here rather than focusing on who will get assets after the parents have passed.

Let's make a plan.

We help individuals and their families navigate the legal maze and implement plans to secure their futures. By working together, we're able to offer comprehensive planning, life care services and legal representation, giving you peace of mind for what ever life brings.